US Visa Iceland

US Visa Iceland - Refugee Visa Iceland

To be eligible for consideration under the US Refugee program, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee:  A person outside of his/her country of nationality or outside his/her habitual residence, who is unwilling or unable to return to that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.  In addition, he/she must be able to establish that he/she is not already firmly resettled in a foreign country and must fall within certain refugee processing priorities.

A refugee does not include anyone who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.  For the legal definition of refugee, see section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

You must receive a referral to the US Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for consideration as a refugee.  For more information on the referral criteria, see the USRAP Consultations and Worldwide Processing Priorities page. 

If you receive a referral, you will receive help filling out your application and then be interviewed abroad by a USCIS officer who will determine whether you are eligible for refugee resettlement.  For more information about eligibility, see our Refugee Eligibility Determination page.

Your case may include your spouse, child (unmarried and under 21 years of age), and in some limited circumstances, other family members.  If your case is referred to the USRAP, you will receive help filling out your paperwork.  You will be interviewed abroad by a USCIS officer who will determine whether you are a refugee.

If you are approved as a refugee, you will receive a medical exam, a cultural orientation, help with your travel plans, and a loan for your travel to the United States.  After you arrive, you will be eligible for medical and cash assistance.

If you are a refugee in the United States and want your family members who are abroad to join you, then you can do so by filing a separate application thereafter.

As a refugee, you may work immediately upon arrival to the United States.  When you are admitted to the United States you will receive a Form I-94 containing a refugee admission stamp.  Additionally, a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, will be filed for you in order for you to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  While you are waiting for your EAD, you can present your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to your employer as proof of your permission to work in the United States.

If you have refugee status and want to travel outside the United States, you will need to obtain a Refugee Travel Document in order to return to the United States.